School term and holiday dates
Posted: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 12:00 by Stuart Bacon
Leicestershire County Council wants to hear your views on three suggested options for school term time and holiday dates from autumn 2019 to summer 2022.
They have developed three different options:
Option 1: This is the current Leicestershire pattern which includes an early autumn half-term break and an early spring half-term break.
Option 2: Based on Leicester City's term time pattern – with a later autumn half-term break but maintains an early spring half-term break.
Option 3: Based on an alternative term time pattern - with a later autumn half-term break and spring half-term break.
All options are based on the following key principles:
- The requirement to have 380 sessions (190 days) during a school year
- As we are proposing that school governors will have discretion to determine all 5 inset days during a school year, we have not included any proposed inset days
- In line with school holidays across the UK, Christian religious dates have been incorporated to allow families to observe religious occasions such as Christmas and Easter
- Where possible national bank holidays have been incorporated to be during school holidays
- To review the length of the autumn term when considering where autumn half-term falls
- To consider Leicestershire term times alongside neighbouring local authorities
- Where possible to try and aim for a summer break of more than a minimum of three weeks
- To continue to set the start of the summer break to follow the traditional industrial July fortnight pattern
In addition, all three options:
- Include Christmas holiday, Easter holiday and summer half-term break at similar dates as surrounding areas (including Leicester city)
- Include the traditional early start of the summer holiday. This is similar to Leicester city, but earlier than all other neighbouring authorities
The consultation runs for eight weeks from Monday 5 February until Monday 2 April 2018.
Paper copies of the school term time consultation document are available by calling 0116 305 6324.
To read the information document and complete the school term time consultation survey please visit www.leicestershire.gov.uk/term-time-consultation